Selecting the best handgun for personal protection can be a little daunting, particularly if you don’t possess extensive knowledge of firearms. However, many people can assist you, and there is a lot of information online to guide you in making the right choice.
What factors should play a part in your selection of the best handgun? Here are a few tips that can benefit everyone looking to purchase a weapon for protection.
- Handguns work well for single-handed use, are lightweight, often of slim design, and are highly portable, making them the weapon many individuals choose for self-defense.
- Pistols are usually easily concealed in a purse or pocket, beneath the shoulder, or in the small of the back. Many holster designs work for these different options.
- A handgun is a reliable weapon if you take care of it, practice with it often, and clean it regularly.
- There is a lot of debate about the handgun caliber. Small caliber weapons like the 9 mm handgun and the .380 have less recoil, bigger capacity magazines, and higher bullet speeds. Large caliber guns like the .45, feature big bullets that travel more slowly. There is greater recoil in big caliber guns, and the magazines hold fewer rounds. Choosing a caliber depends on your comfort level and accuracy of shooting. Practice with different caliber handguns for sale to see what feels right and works best for you.
- For self-defense at home, you may want to invest in a .22 caliber weapon, which has inexpensive ammunition and won’t cause as much damage to property.
- Consider the cost of bullets when you are making your handgun selection. Not only do you want to have an ample supply in an emergency, but you should also have plenty for practice, as well. Expensive ammunition may lead to your being less prepared than you should be.
- Weapon size is important, especially if you will be carrying concealed or if you will have it on for extended periods. A heavy handgun is uncomfortable after several hours. If you will keep your pistol at home, a larger weapon is a wise choice. Opting for a mid-size frame provides more flexibility in use and offers a balance between how much the gun weighs and its size.
- For the ultimate in self-protection, a pistol is the handgun of choice, selected by most law enforcement personnel throughout the world. Ammunition is stored in a magazine, and the weapon reloads quickly after firing. Safely operating a pistol takes practice.
- You could also choose to buy a revolver over a pistol. Reloading after shooting between four and eight rounds in the cylinder can take a little time, but it is easier to operate safely than a pistol. Revolvers are known for reliability.
- The cost of the handgun is an important factor in your buying decision. In some cases, the more expensive a weapon, the better it is, but note that this is not always true. Conversely, cheap handguns may not perform as needed and maybe lower-quality.
Quality types of handguns
- Glocks – The Glock is one of the most recognizable pistols on the market, and for good reason. Glock is an especially reliable brand of firearm that has seen a lot of civilian and law enforcement usage. The Glock 17 and Glock 19 are two great examples of common Glocks that have become very popular with gun owners. Glocks are also very versatile and can be outfitted with different modifications like red dot sights or night sights. Their manual safeties are also easy to alternate quickly in an emergency situation. The polymer frames are sturdy and durable. For single action pistols, you can’t do much better than Glock firearms.
- Smith & Wesson – Smith & Wesson are named firmly cemented into American history. The company has been making trusted and reliable firearms since 1852. Today their modern pistols and handguns are very high quality. The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield stands out as one of their best. The M&P Shield is a favorite of law enforcement. It translates the power of the full-sized M&P handgun into a compact and versatile weapon. The trigger pull is short and consistent meaning this gun can be fired relatively quickly. It is lightweight and nicely balanced which means you can carry it comfortably for any amount of time.
- The Springfield XD series is a favorite among gun owners for the purpose of home defense. The XD comes in three different sizes so it will complement the style of virtually any shooter. You can choose from the Full-size, Compact, or Sub-compact design for any situation. The gun also feels great too. The specially designed grip fits easily and comfortably in your hand but is also secure and non-slip.
Trial and error and extensive practice are the best ways to determine what handgun you should choose for self-defense. Always shoot before you make your purchasing decision. You can ask friends if you can shoot their weapons or see if your firing range has guns to rent that you can try. Experimenting with many different types of handguns will help you narrow your search and allow you to buy a weapon you will be comfortable using for practice and during a crisis.
If you are an inexperienced gun user, take a class at your local range to learn handgun basics and laws regarding concealed carry. A knowledgeable gun owner is a safe gun owner.
Contact us for everything related to your firearms and ammunition needs.